Mills Park Natural Playground
City of Calgary Parks Foundation, Calgary
Completion in 2016
- initiated as part of the International Play Association’s (IPA) Triennial World Conference, to be held in Calgary, September 2017.
- Scope included engagement and concept design.
- Stakeholder engagement session with City of Calgary and Parks Foundation, Calgary.
- Multiple visioning sessions to determine goals, learning objectives, risk management, and community stewardship opportunities.
- Focus on the importance of self-directed and outdoor play.
- Inspiration comes from the concept of the “back 40” at an old Albertan ranch.
- Park elements are symbols of the rural southern Alberta landscape.
- Integration with day care facility on adjacent property